When summer time comes, I am just as ready to be outside as the kids are. I want to garden, go for walks, read a book, maybe play a little tennis or go for a swim. If I’m not deliberate, I will let all of the work of being a wife and mom (which I love) crowd out the play.
Throughout the morning, the kids and I accomplish much. We clean bathrooms, water gardens, bake bread, move laundry, – this week we cleaned the basement… There is never, ever a lack of work to be done! Sometimes we move in teams and other times individually, but we all work.
Why do I make the kids work? (I say make, because it is something they have to learn, it is not their natural tendency.)
1. They don’t get bored.
2. They learn how to do sooo… many skills.
3. They learn to set a goal and accomplish it.
4. They sleep better at night.
5. They learn to work together and make it fun.
6. They build strong healthy muscles.
7. They learn to serve others.
8. They become less self focused.
9. They have a greater appreciation of their free time.
10. Many hands make light work!
Even if there isn’t anything I need done, I will look for something for them to put their hands to and conquer.
At lunch time, it all comes to an end and we take some time to shift gears. After a quiet time of reading, resting,or looking at books, it is time to play. This is the time when the kids ask me if they can do something… or if I will do it with them… I make a point to say, “Yes!” “Yes, I will go swimming with you! Yes, we can go for a hike.” I want to have fun with my kids!
Why do I make myself play? (I say make, because it is no longer my natural tendency to take time to play.)
1. I don’t get bored.
2. I learn new skills.
3. I sleep better at night.
4. I serve my kids.
5. I learn to play together with them.
6. I become less task focused.
7. I have a better appreciation of what they like to do.
8. I want the kids to know I love to be with them.
9. I am interested in what they’re interested in.
10. I will gain strong healthy muscles.
The summer flies by quickly. Take time to be deliberate. Work together. Play together.